You Need To Try This Honey Glazed Ham This Thanksgiving
While ham is best known as a Christmas classic, it’s still a Thanksgiving favorite. If you’re looking for the perfect recipe for honey-glazed ham, you’re in the right place. Try this recipe.
- 1 (5-pound) ready-to-eat ham
- ¼ cup whole cloves
- ¼ cup dark corn syrup
- 2 cups honey
- ⅔ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Score ham, and stud with the whole cloves. Place ham in a foil-lined pan.
- Heat corn syrup, honey, and butter in the top half of a double boiler. Keep the glaze warm while baking the ham.
- Brush glaze over the ham, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Baste ham every 10 to 15 minutes with the honey glaze. During the last 4 to 5 minutes of baking, turn on the broiler to caramelize the glaze. Remove from oven, and let sit a few minutes before serving.
What Should You Serve With Thanksgiving Ham
As expected, Thanksgiving ham goes well with the other dishes often served with turkey.
Your sugar-glazed ham pairs perfectly with traditional autumn sides like roasted Brussels sprouts or other vegetables, green beans (especially green bean casserole), baked squash (savoury with garlic and Parmesan or sweet with brown sugar and cinnamon), mashed potatoes (or mashed sweet potatoes), and cranberry sauce.
In certain cultures, the ham is decorated with pineapple slices that have cherries inserted into each hole. The pineapple juice will be reduced with brown sugar and spices to create a glaze.
Besides the dressing, a traditional turkey meal will be exactly the same (or stuffing). It's not possible to fill a ham the way you would a turkey. Many medical professionals advise avoiding baking the stuffing inside the turkey since it may result in undercooked filling and the spread of pathogens to the stuffing. That way, you won't have to give up your beloved dressing recipe (minus the giblets, unless you have some stashed in the freezer). A Southern-style cornbread dressing is one sort of dressing that pairs well with a Thanksgiving ham feast.
One Root is your source for premium raw honey. Explore our honey collection today to find the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving dinner.